Caring for a child with disabilities can be a stressful and daunting challenge to families. Often the child requires additional services or equipment that allows the family to provide the best possible care in their home or community. The Children’s Long Term Support Waiver, a mix of federal, state and local dollars, can be used to support the child and the family based on the needs of the child. Our CLTS Service Coordinators assess each child individually to determine their strengths and needs.
Families play an important role in creating the child’s plan of care! This plan changes as the child grows and the needs change. It supports the child for as long as the child is eligible up until adulthood.
Our goal? To provide the child and family with the right support and services so that the child may remain in the home and be a part of our community.
Some examples of services/items covered include:
- adaptive aids
- communication aids
- supportive home care
- specialized medical and therapeutic supplies
- home modifications
- respite care
- therapy related to Autism Spectrum Disorders
How to Apply
- Contact Families First at (262)-605-6599. The consultant will explain the children’s programs available, the benefits of the program and eligibility process. If the parent wishes to apply, the consultant will send the family an application packet.
- Complete the application packet or ask the consultant for assistance
- Once all the paperwork is completed, the parent will need to call Families First to set up a home visit.
- The home visit is used to review the application materials and gather additional information, verify certain documentation, answer questions and give the consultant an opportunity to meet the family and child.
- Once all the application materials are complete, the consultant submits the child’s application to the State of Wisconsin Bureau of Long-Term Support (BLTS). BLTS reviews all program eligibility criteria.
- The family will receive a letter that specifies whether or not the child is eligible.
- Once you have been determined eligible for a program by Families First, there is a waiting list for these funds and services. The State of Wisconsin has created two waiting lists, one list for families seeking ASD therapy and another for all other applicants.
While you're on the waiting list contact us! We may be able to connect you with community resources until CLTS funding becomes available! Let us know of any changes – address, phone number, etc. – so we can get in touch with you! A CLTS Service Coordinator will contact you when funding becomes available.
For more information on how to apply for the CLTS Waiver, please contact KHDS and ask for the Children’s Long Term Support Program.